When cooking rice, isn’t it easy to over-estimate the amount you need? And you end up cooking too much. But that’s not a problem because you can store any left-over in the fridge and make some delicious fried-rice dishes with it the next day. Like we’ve done here. Using authentic Moroccan spices, this spicy vegetable rice dish is bound the get your taste buds tingling.
Given the health benefits of coconut, we’ve used Organic Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for frying. This boosts the amount of antioxidants in the dish, along with the nutritional goodness in the main bulk of vegetables and spices. Our spice blend consisted of garam masala, cayenne pepper, turmeric and ground coriander. Paired with fragrant fresh mint, lemon juice, and colourful vegetables, you can only imagine the pop of flavour. But you don’t want to sit there imagining. Go and make it for yourself. It’s super quick and easy…
- 2 portions of pre-cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic puree
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 vine tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 50g sultanas
- 10 mint leaves, finely chopped, plus extra for serving
- 2 spring onions, chopped, plus extra for serving
- Prepare your vegetables and put to one side. Heat the oil in a large wok on medium-high heat. Then add your onion, yellow bell pepper and garlic puree. Stir and fry for a few minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sultanas and add the ground coriander, garam masala, turmeric, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Fry whilst stirring occasionally until all the vegetables have softened - approx. 7 minutes.
- Add the mint, spring onions and rice. Combine all of the ingredients together and fry for a couple more minutes.
- Serve immediately and top with some fresh mint and spring onion - delicious!